East London Tabernacle Baptist Church
was founded in 1861 in Stepney and has been meeting on ist present site since 1871. When looking for a minister the church
consulted the well-known Victorian preacher CH Spurgeon who recommended a young man named Archibald Brown. Brown had been pastoring a church he had started in Bromley in Kent. Within a few years of coming to Stepney the number of people joining and attending the church had grown so much that it was necessary to build a larger building.
The site on Burdett Road was purchased a new buildingwas constructed that was able to seat 2,500 people. The church that met in the East London Tabernacle was modelled on Spurgeon’s church at the Metropolitan Tabernacle in Elephant and Castle. By the end of the 19th century ELT had the second largest congregation in the United Kingdom after the Metropolitan Tabernacle. Doctrinally and spiritually Brown was at one with Spurgeon and during the Downgrade controversy in the Baptist Union ELT was one of few churches that withdrew with Spurgeon from the union. Brown’s preaching was expository and firmly rooted in a Calvinistic evangelical faith. The church was very active in evangelism and undertook a number of social ministries in what was and still is one of the most socially deprived areas of London. These included orphanages, soup kitchens and even a holiday home in Hearn Bay in Kent. Key to the life of the church was its well-known weekly prayer meeting on Saturday afternoons when 1,000 people would gather.
Brown retired in 1898 in order to become minister at Chatsworth Road Baptist Church in West Norwood. Later he was minister at the Metropolitan Tabernacle. As is often the case after a notable ministry the church found it difficult find a successor. But eventually John Scroggie, brother of the well-known preacher Graham Scroggie, became minister. He was succeeded by D.H. Moore. Moore’s successor in 1934 was Geoffrey King who built up the congregation and led the church during the difficult years of the Second World War. He was succeeded by Paul Tucker in 1954. Tucker was well known for his expository preaching and towards the end of his ministry the church saw considerable growth. In 1974 he was called as minister of the Baptist Church in Portadown in Northern Ireland and was followed four years later by Steve Brady. Brady also was well-known as a preacher and was particularly concerned to strengthen the church evangelistically. During the last two years of Brady’s ministry the church called Kenneth Brownell as associate minister. When Brady was called to Lansdowne Baptist Church in Bournemouth, Brownell was called as minister.
At various points in its history ELT has belonged to the Baptist Union and the London Baptist Association. A number of years ago the church withdrew from both organisations and affiliated to the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches and through it to Affinity (formerly the British Evangelical Council). In this way the church works with other classical evangelical churches to advance Christ’s kingdom in the nation. ELT is also a member of the Evangelical Alliance.
From the beginning the church has been involved in world missions. Hudson Taylor’s daughter, Geraldine Guinness, and her husband were missionaries from this church. In recent years we have had missionaries serving in Mali, Peru, Brazil, Djibouti, Pakistan, and Eritrea. Presently the church supports Josh and Cathy Hooker in Lesotho (with AIM) and Ray and Rebekah Brown in South Africa (with Crosslinks). ELT has developed links with churches and ministries in other countries, especially South Africa and Myanmar (Burma). In South Africa the church helps to support the Christ Church Care Centre in Johannesburg that us working with street children and victims of AIDS. Through the regular visits of Dr. Brownell to Southeast Asia the church is supporting the Andrew Orphanage in Yangon and evangelistic and church planting ministries in Hakka and Mandalay. The church is also involved in supporting a school in Laos. Dr. Brownell is particularly concerned to strengthen evangelical ministry in Myanmar through seminars on expository preaching.
The twentieth century was very challenging for ELT. The area around the church has experienced great demographic changes. In the wake of the two world wars many people moved out of London. The original Tabernacle was destroyed by a bomb in 1944 and only replaced with the present building in 1954. That the seating capacity of the new auditorium is 500 as opposed to 2,500 indicates something of the impact of the changes on the church. However the building is much better suited for the many other activities that go on in a church like ELT. The East End has always been home to successive waves of migration. During much of the early 20th century the church was involved in evangelising the large Jewish population in the area. More recently its concern has been for the large number of Bangladeshis, Somalis and other predominantly Muslim groups that live around the church. However the church is a very diverse community with people of many nationalities and a wide social mix. While one ward near the church is one of the most socially deprived in Britain another has one of the highest concentrations of university graduates. With a number of universities the area is also home to many international students. Also effecting the church is the shift of London’s centre of gravity eastward with the development of Canary Wharf and the Thames Gateway. Increasingly the church is a centre city as well as an inner city church. In all this we believe that God has put the church where it is to advance his kingdom. London is one of the world’s most strategic cities for mission and by God’s grace ELT is building on its good heritage in order to reach the world for Christ in the 21st century.